Install Miniconda (Python) with Jupyter Notebook and Setting Up Virtual Environments on Windows 10
In this tutorial, I will show how to install Miniconda & Jupyter Notebook on Windows 10. Additionally, I will be explaining the setup process & the importance of Virtual Environments.
What is the difference between Python vs. Anaconda vs. Miniconda?
If you want to buy a smartphone, there are 3 offers:
1. You only get the Smartphone
2. You get the Smartphone + 100 Smartphone Cases + 1 delicious cookie
3. You get the Smartphone + the option to order any Smartphone Case in the future + 1 delicious cookie
Python is in this example the Smartphone. The Smartphone cases are libraries like Pandas, Seaborn, Sklearn, xlwings,… The delicious cookie is conda. Conda is an environment management system.
If you install Anaconda, you will get Python + over 250 packages/libraries already preinstalled + conda
If you install Miniconda, you will get Python + conda
If you install Python, you only get Python Instead of using conda to manage your virtual environments, you can also python’s build-in environment management system venv:
I personally like to manage my virtual environments with conda & install packages whenever I need them. Hence, I am using Miniconda as shown in this tutorial.
- Download Miniconda here: https://docs.conda.io/en/latest/
- miniconda.html Jupyter Notebook Markdown Cheatsheet: Download PDF HERE