How to Create a Custom Excel Add-in (Step-by-Step Guide)
Supercharge your Excel skills and productivity by learning how to create a custom Excel add-in using VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) in this easy-to-follow, step-by-step tutorial. Perfect for both beginners and advanced users, this guide will walk you through the entire process of creating your very own Excel add-in.
VBA allows you to quickly and efficiently build custom add-ins that can expand Excel’s capabilities, automate repetitive tasks, and integrate with external tools and services. It’s an excellent way to get started with creating and distributing add-ins due to its user-friendliness and ease of implementation. While there are other methods, such as COM, VSTO, and Office.JS, our focus will be on VBA in this tutorial.
By the end of this video, you’ll have a custom ribbon that allows you to run any macro with ease, taking your Excel abilities to new heights!
- GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Sven-Bo/excel-add-in-tutorial-template
- Office RibbonX Editor: https://github.com/fernandreu/office-ribbonx-editor/releases/tag/v1.9.0
- MyToolBelt Add-in: https://pythonandvba.com/mytoolbelt
- Office imageMSO icon library: https://bert-toolkit.com/imagemso-list.html
- Blog Post (XML/VBA Starter Code): https://bettersolutions.com/vba/ribbon/document-level-customui-editor.htm
- Microsoft Custom UI Docs: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/office_standards/ms-customui/d842006e-3187-4f66-a17d-0819a3cc94b5